To conclude the Mexican Diaries series, I’ve enjoyed sharing one of my most treasured turquoise trips. This trip has shaped me into the person and traveler that I am today. It’s brought back so many pleasant memories which has me yet again, planning another adventure in Mexico (which would be the 4th time there). From landing in Mexico as a female backpacker for the first time, being scared crapless, traveling solo in Quintana Roo, crazy adventures in the Yucatan, the exhilaration of the backpacking life in Campeche, the journey to and from Belize, stumbling upon my favorite destination in Mexico, to ending my trip in one of the most beautiful islands in the world…Mexico is “that trip” for me. Mexico has it all.
- Areas traveled: Yucatan, Quintana Roo, Campeche, Belize
- Mexican destinations: Cancun, Isla Mujeres, Merida, Progreso, Celestun, Uman, Muna, Campeche, Chetumal, Bacalar, Tulum, Playa del Carmen, Cozumel-San Miguel, Puerto Morelos
- Belize destinations: Corozal, Orange Walk, Belize City, San Pedro (Ambergris Caye Island) and Caye Caulker Island
- Mayan Ruins destinations: Chichen Itza, Uxmal, Coba, Tulum, Isla Mujeres, and Puerto Morelos
- Nature preserve destinations: Puerto Morelos Botanical Garden and natural reserve, Isla Contoy bird conservatory, Celestun flamingo wildlife refuge, Lake Bacalar (lake of seven colours), Isla Mujeres Turtle sanctuary, Coba Crocodile Lakes, and cenotes (underground caves and water holes): Valladolid Cenote (cenote of sacrifice), Tulum (grand cenote), and Bacalar (Cenote Azul).
- Underwater Adventures: Snorkel Isla Mujeres/Cancun reef, snorkel Cozumel reef, sting ray swim and snorkel in Belize off Caye Caulker, swim with whale sharks off Isla Mujeres
I can’t say enough about Mexico. I can’t urge you enough to visit this destination. It has so much offer and this series only described one of the many spectacular areas of Mexico worth adding to your bucket list. I’ve also backpacked along the Pacific coast of Mexico in 2010 visiting Puerto Vallarta, Guadalajara, Leon, Tequila, Guanajuato, Morelia, and throughout Jalisco to state a few iconic places. Mexico can make any travelers dream come true because it has it all, no matter what you are looking for.